Shortly after buying my spinning wheel in November 2005 realized I needed a good chair to sit on while spinning. I wanted something with a straight back and a padded seat. I found this chair at a local thrift store for $4.00. The padding was spent and it wasn't much to look at, but I knew I could improve it and it was the right size and shape.
In the last year I've spent hundreds of hours spinning and the lack of padding (on the chair, I have plenty) has had a toll on my sit-bones. With the near completion of the new office/spinning/guest room I was motivated to finally replace the foam and change the seat fabric. Cruising Reprodepot I found the perfect pattern and was able to buy just one yard. This weekend I put it all together. Removing the old fabric was the hardest part, there were two layers nailed in tight. Once it was off and the crumbling foam was bundled into a garbage bag I traced the outline of the base onto some chair foam I picked up at Friendly Foam and cut it out with a utility knife and a pair of cheap scissors. I spent a while deciding which part of the fabric I most wanted on the seat, and which orientation it should be in. Then I started stapling, beginning with one in the center of each run and working from there. There are a couple of uneven spots, but nothing too noticeable and I think I did pretty good for my first try.
Fabric $12.00 +shipping
Tools: Heavy duty stapler & staples, hammer (for flattening the few staples that didn't want to lie down), screw driver, utility knife, scissors.
Time: 1.5 hours
Happy spinning to me!