Having just had an "ah-HA!" moment relating to the plying of chained singles, I decided I needed to spin some singles that were worthy of this new technique without risking the singles I had spun from some of Heidi's
crack carded bats.
I carefully escaped from work 15 minutes early (having worked a full 8 hours or more I'm sure, I'd never fudge it just for fiber, really, no really) and hauled myself to Weaving Works for some roving. Being frugal (as is my general practice, please don't ask how much I paid for my new Kenneth Cole bag) I selected 3 analogous shades of green and grabbed about an ounce of each. I wanted the greens to slip together, blending and parting in a planned, controlled, thoroughly random way. I held them together as I predrafted and spun from the three ends, letting the pull of the twisting yarn select which fibers came next.
The singles were really lovely, and because of the analogous greens could have been plied together in any method. I wanted to work on plying chained singles, so that's what I did. It went very smoothly; I never had even the slightest hiccup. I'm pleased with the end result, it looks just like my grass (which never gets enough water).